Friday, February 19, 2010

Authentic vs Performance Self

As soon as I started reading the definition of performance self I said "Yep, that's me". This is because unlike authentic self, I do not feel a strong connection with my words. The book goes into describing what kind of person is described under the performance self. I think that Most of the people I know are performace self because they are very laid back and do not really care about their words and others or how they are used. One thing that really stuck out to me was that She describes them as being "Goal oriented" but in terms of just gettong the job done and not really caring about the content/context, which also came up today in class. We wrote our ideas about authentic and performance self and then made counterarguments. Authentic was all for ones self and not relying on anyone Else or their controbutions. An argument was that they would be too Independent and self sufficent to take in someone elses ideas that would make their own ideas into even better ones. Also, when placed in a situation where they would have to work in Groups, they would Be less prone to listen to other's ideas. Those who qualified as performane self were viewed as being more group oriented and did not mind collaborating with others to help them think of their ideas. An argument was that they would be more likely to cheat, an idea that is also stated in the book. Blum's description of authentic self as being integral sort of threw me off because it was like people who are performance self are intergal too. I like how Blum said that many of the instructors at institutes grew up a generation where authentic self was practiced more often. As à result, they are more strict about citing sources and coming up with ideas that are truly your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment